Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sewing:Upcycling Daddy's Shirt into a Dress

So a bit of a detour tonight, I had all these things I was going to do tonight (including go to sleep early!) But it all got scrapped when the Hubby decided his silver shirt was done for. I really liked the color of it, a nice silver with a little sheen to it, and I wondered if there was enough fabric to make a simple dress out of it.

Turns out the answer is YES! So I started with a men's XLT shirt, 
 and ended up with this:

I used Simplicity Pattern 0150 . The front felt a little plain, so I added the bows with fabric that came from the sleeves.

The front of the shirt is the back of  the dress. The back of the dress is the front of the shirt.

 I left the back as functional buttons, so I once again, wouldn't have to make my own button holes. (I've really got to get over my fear of making button holes!!)

All in all it was a really easy project, it took about 1 1/2 hrs or so. And I saved some time because I used the bottom of the shirt as the bottom hem!

The original pattern calls for an applique to be put on the dress in a couple different locations, but for this fabric, I liked the simple-ness of just some added bows.

I also sewed the back button pleat shut from the 3rd button down. No need in having the entire dress come apart! Although, maybe in the future I could leave the buttons as the front of the dress, and....oh the possibilities!!

I made this in a bit of a larger size, so Avery doesn't fit in it right now, but I can't wait to see her in it!




No comments:

Post a Comment