Monday, April 23, 2012

Cooking: Game Changing Guacamole

I call this Game Changing Guacamole because my Dad, while we were in Mexico, refused to eat Guacamole. He swore it was horrible stuff, he had no interest in eating it ever. Well, my husband and I convinced him, kicking and screaming to try one bite. And he's been hooked ever since! :-) Let's get started (my mouth is watering just thinking about this guacamole!)

Starting with the Avocados. I pick Avocados that just barely give when you lightly squeeze. I've noticed most grocery stores have started puting "Ripe" stickers on the ones they think are ready. Mostly I've found that those are over ripe, and have brown spots upon opening them. :-(
I halve then score the Avocado in order to make mashing a little easier. Then use a spoon to scoop out all the yummy greenness that is inside. Mash and then either cut a lemon and use half of the lemon, or just use the lemon juice squeeze guy. Don't put the lemon away yet, you might need the other half! I find some lemons have lots of "lemmonness" and some don't have quite as much as I'd like.                      
Garlic! So much garlic! I used 4 cloves and minced the bits nice and tiny.
 Red onion joins the party next - I like using the red onion because it has a bit of sweetness in it. I'm sure you could use whatever onion you have. 1/2 of an onion.(I wonder how Vadalia onions would fare in this? I guess next time I get some in I'll have to try that!)
Cilantro, a good half of a bunch of cilantro. I try to use as much of just the leaves as I can and only use the top half of the stalks, they seem to get too woody after about where the band is. So I just pull the leaves off the woody stalks and chop them up. Once again, don't put it away, you might want to add some after tasting it all together.   

Now to add the heat! I'm a wuss. I use 1 small serrano pepper. Without the seeds, thank you very much. :-)
Make sure not to touch your face after handling this guy - some people recommend using rubber gloves, or other such things. I just make sure to wash my hands VERY well after. Dice him to tiny bits.


Mix, and mix. Taste. Add Salt, and whatever else you might deem to be missing. For this batch, I ended up using the full lemon, and about 1 tsp of salt. And of course, it was gone before you could say Guacamole is Ready!



What you'll need:
2-3 Avocados
1 lemon or 1tbls lemon juice
4-5 cloves of garlic
1/2 red onion
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 serrano pepper
1 tsp salt

Tortilla chips, or the husband's Steak Tacos! mmmmm. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment