Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sewing: Ribbon Back Dress


I am SEW freaking excited about this little dress I made tonight!!  I know that the pictures will be better if I wait until tomorrow to take the pictures, But I'm so freaking excited!! :-)

 I found this fabric at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $3/yard, so of course I bought one yard! I am in love with the muted tones, and love how the print looks like either flowers or butterflies!

So I didn't use a pattern (don't tell my Aunt Sharon!) I just used a dress from Avery's closet, and made some modifications.

It started off as a jumper, with function buttons on the top of the sleeves, but my button-footer for my sewing machine is lost in a silver tin in the bottom of our Christmas tub in storage. I know, I need to go dig it out, but that's not as much fun as working on projects!

Any-hoo - so after an impromptu fitting, I saw that the middle was a little tight, so after consulting with my Hubby, he suggested I put buttons down the back, to add just a little wiggle room. So it's not perfect, but it is my first attempt at a dress.

So her are some detail shots - I loosened my tension on the bobbin while doing the top-stitching and got this great wavy-pattern.

And of course, I finished the back with the same Victorian Lilac ribbon from our wedding (I told you I had a lot of ribbon left!)

   I can definitely see doing dresses in the future!Now to make the matching headband and shoes to go with it :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment