Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cooking: Sweet Potato Baby Food

So after some sticker shock in looking at baby food prices, I decided to give making baby food at home a try. So this is my adventure in making a Sweet Potato into small frozen bubbles per the Super Baby Food method. First is cutting the sweet potato into chunks. No need to skin it, the skin will come off easily once it's cooked. Then throwing it into a double boiler/Steamer for 40 minutes or until they are nice and tender. (make sure to have enough water in the pot - we found out the hard way about that :-( )

Next comes the puree-ing! Peel off the skins before throwing them in whatever device you've got to puree them. Add a little bit of formula or breast milk so it can puree smoothly. I'm not sure how much...it's going to be just enough so your blender/food processor needs to get the baby food smooth.

Then puree! My it's easiest to start off with a little pulsing, then let 'er rip!
Because I'm being a little extra cautious, I then strained the mixture. It really didn't take as long as I thought it would to strain, so I definately will be doing that again! Then it's just a matter of dishing the puree into freezer safe storage. I found these nifty ice cube trays that pop out once their frozen, and they are a perfect size for a certain baby girl I know who will begin eating soon!


Package them up nice and tight for the freezer, and it's all done!!





This freezer bag is one full sweet potato! Lots of little tiny meals, for a tiny little mouth!


No comments:

Post a Comment