Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Crafting: Stringing Pearls

So, a little off the beaten path, but I saw these beads at Michael's for $0.99 each! I started seeing portraits of Avery with little beads, and big beads, and oh- my! Little strings of glass pearls for playing dress up! Too cute! So I did some research to see how I would go about stringing a necklace of pearl (glass) beads. In this tutorial I used beading thread, but I've also used silk thread from the sewing department as well, and to be honest, I really liked using the silk better, just sayin'. :-)

What you need:
Beads - each of these strings is 12 inches, so the necklace will end up being about 24"
Some form of closure - this is going to really be whatever you prefer
Flexible beading needles - I usually end up using a couple thru this process
Thread - As I mentioned, I actually prefer to use the silk as opposed to what is pictured.
Scissors - whatever is handy


 Step One - find a surface that will not allow the beads to roll all over - I used a piece of felt. Then cut a length of thread that's at least 4 times the length of your finished necklace, so 4 times the 24" for my necklace below.

Step Two - thread your needle - you'll want to leave a pretty long tail on it, because the eye collapses once you pull on it a little.




Step Three - Release the Beads! No seriously, be careful when you make the cut that the beads don't shoot off the end.



Step Four, Now, start threading the beads on your thread. Leave a good 8 inches or so open on the end of your thread.


Step Five, thread on 1/2 of your closure.


Step Six - loop the thread back thru the last bead.


Step Seven - make a knot.


Step Eight - tighten the knot down as tight as you can.


 Step Nine - Thread the needle thru the next bead and tie another knot. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat ( you get the picture)


Step Ten - Thread on the second half of your closure.


Step Eleven - Thread both of the thread tails back thru the first bead.


Step Twelve - Make a knot. Do this again at least 3 times.


Last Step - Cut the thread! You're all done!


No comments:

Post a Comment