Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cooking: Roasted Eggplant 2 Ways

Have you signed up to Follow Me by Email? If not, you could be missing posts from me! ----------->



Okay, so admittedly, I've never been a fan of eggplant, but there is a program in my neighborhood that gives out fresh produce, and I found myself with 2 of these things.

So, I figured I'll give it a shot. I googled some 5-star recipes and decided to keep it simple for this first shot.






First, peel the eggplant, I just used a veggie peeler, and tried to keep the skin pieces pretty big.



Next slice the eggplant in about 1/4 inch pieces.


Generously salt both sides of the eggplant slices. Then set them in a collandar (or something like it) because the salt will pull out moisture from the eggplant. (which in turn makes them less spongy after cooked)


Wait 1 hour.

(I used the time to fry the eggplant skins, (see below) do some dishes, steamed some carrots for baby food, swept the floor, cleaned the counters, when I was done, it was about time to get back to it!)

To fry the skins, heat up some oil in a pan. I like to use this old cast iron skillet because, well, sometimes I burn things, and its easier to clean this pan than the other ones if I burn something! :-)

You'll know the oil is hot and ready when you sprinkle just a little water in the oil and it makes a "popping" sound. 
Toss, okay, well, gently place the skins in the oil. Let them sit for maybe 20-30 seconds, then turn over with tongs. Take them out and place on paper towels to soak up the extra oil.





Now you have crispy eggplant chips. You can lightly salt them if you want, or just eat them as is!




Okay, now back to the meaty eggplant slices, take them out of the collander, and place them on paper towels. Lightly press down on them so as to get as much moisture out of them with out smushing them.


Salt, pepper, and sprinkle with garlic, place on a lightly greased pan, and bake in the oven. I think I did 350 for 20-30 minutes. (my oven runs hot, so you'll want to keep an eye on yours)






And now you have roasted eggplant, and crispy eggplant chips! Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment