Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sewing: Black and White Brocade Tutorial


 

Okay, so getting back on track and getting settled in has been a little more crazy than I thought it would be, but I have been able to keep up with making more baby foods for Avery in different flavors, and starting to combine food - but that's another post!

I love this pattern for fabric, it's kind of a brochade-y fabric but I'm not bold enough to make curtains, or anything else with it, but I did make this darling little dress :-)

This pattern actually came on a handkerchief from Hobby Lobby, so I bought 2 to make a dress in the style of a pillowcase dress.



 So, first  I sewed both sides together, right sides together.






Then, I cut off 4 inches using a rotary cutter.







Then I marked 4 inches across and 4 inches down and used a dinner plate to make a nice circular pattern to cut out for the arms. I folded the fabric in half and only did one drawing and one cut so that the arm holes would match.


Then I folded over the edges and pressed with a hot iron. then roll over again and press again, before sewing. 

Also at this time, I took the top and did the same double fold over technique, but made the folds about 1 inch each.

Then sew one ribbon on each end of the top of the dress. Each ribbon should be about 6-7 inches long.


Then sew down the top, making sure to sew as close to the edge as possible to make room for the elastic. 


Now it's time to get the elastic in place. I put a safety pin thru one end of the elastic, then feed the elastic thru the top of the dress.  Then pull it tight, and sew off the other end off with an secure both ends with zigzag stitch. Cut off the excess with scissors.




Then just tie the ribbons in bows, the bottom was already hemmed, because I used the end of the handkerchief as that hem line :-)

 Grandma found this great little monogram pin, that I just added to it for a pop of color.


No comments:

Post a Comment